Friday, December 28, 2012

I am not a blogger

I am not a blogger.

I am not a blogger.

I am not a blogger.

I am not a... I think you get the idea.

While I don't think of myself as a blogger--you know, the kind person who constantly updates his/her "followers" on everything that happens to them all of the time up to and including the cornucopia of tedium that we all already experience in day to day living. The kind of person that should know that we have facebook for precisely that purpose--I am a writer. More specifically, I am an academic writer (read: boring).

My hope for this blog is to offer an insight or two from my own work and other scholarship in a few hundred words while building my writing chops with brief commentaries and criticisms tempered by a comic overtone that the oh-so-serious academy so often shuns (the result of constantly trying to be taken seriously).

You can think of this as a kind of learning while doing. Comedy is hard to understand from the outside, so this is my attempt to work my way inside and understand. At times I will be explicitly theoretical, critical and (hopefully) insightful. At other times, I will be silly, hyperbolic and (hopefully) humorous. Regardless, I will always be sarcastic. That doesn't mean you'll find everything that I write funny. In as much as I am not a blogger, I am not a comedian. I urge the reader not to take what I say too seriously, even though comedy, as I see it, is a very serious endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment